Revere Ware parts :: photo guide
A photographic history of Revere's product lines
Credit for the photo guide goes to Charlie Anjard from The Shine Shop. Many years before we startedCollection and provision of information, andSale of spare parts, Charlie meticulously and meticulously collected this information on Revere Ware history and offered a service to refurbish Revere Ware cookware and Bakelite parts. Its restoration process was labor intensive but meticulous. He sold his cookware on eBay under the NTN brand - almost new and it really looked like new. This photo guide has proved invaluable throughout the year and is a big part of what we know today about the history of Revere Ware products.
The founding years (1780s – 1932)
Before 1800, Paul Revere was first a master silversmith, then a patriotic general in the War of Independence. and finally a foundry owner - manufacture of copper/brass/bronze castings for ships (bells, cannons, fittings, nails, spikes, etc.) and rolled copper sheet (cladding applied to the hulls of wooden ships). Revere began making cookware in 1892, when little attention was paid to design other than being functional. Stove and oven ware was typically heavy (cast iron, copper or bronze), while lighter pewter ware (made from several pieces of pressed copper which were then soldered together and tinned) was used for kettles, cups and dishes. The first aluminum cookware was introduced by in 1892Pitsburgh Reduction Society(later renamedALCOA). Revere's early products included frying pans with heavy copper bodies, straight sides, and flat, uninsulated iron handles. Around 1900,Admirer & Sonwith which had mergedTaunton-New Bedford Copper Company, based in New Bedford, Massachusetts.
Manufacture in Romewas founded in 1892 as a division ofRome Brass & Copperwith manufacturing facilities in Rome, NY. It produced a variety of household products (over 10,000 were said to have been made in the 1920s) including kettles, washtubs, stills, bed warmers, sauce pans, frying pans, tea kettles and coffee pots. The Rome plant was modernized in the mid-1920s and featured the latest equipment and laboratories in the industry.
The 1928 merger of five Northeastern copper manufacturers includingTaunton-New Bedford(Withadmirer & son); andRome Brass & Coppertook the nameRevere Copper and Brass Corporation, then the largest copper producer in the United States.Most of the copper production was sold to the architectural (metal roofing and gutters), industrial (refrigeration systems, boilers, chilled water condensers) and electrical (motors and switches) markets. Production of cookware (a small part of the business at the time) was assigned to the recently modernized companyManufacture in RomePlant in New York. The relative importance of each company could be judged by their prominence in the trademark embossed on the products: firstAdmirer & Sonwas practically an afterthought.
Bakelite – the first heat-resistant plastic (introduced by Revere in the late 1920s) and stainless steel (first used in commercial cookware by the Polar Ware Company in 1927) would be central to the development of modern cookware. However, they were initially difficult to adapt to the production methods of the time. Stainless steel was unsatisfactory as a cooking surface (a poor conductor of heat, it tends to burn food rather than cook it). Molding Bakelite proved a challenge, as it was limited to simple, heat-sensitive parts (pipe caps and teapot handles), while wider use awaited until the 1940s. Essentially, Revere's cookware lines of the 1930s drew on the existing tinned copper cooktop and old-fashioned wooden handles, where all references toManufacture in Romewas removed from the trademark.
The development of Revere Ware (1932-1949)
In 1932 Chester McCreery (a former salesman for Rome Manufacturing) suggested that replacing the tin plating then used in Revere's copper cookware with chrome would improve its durability - this production change was made before testing could be completed, and users quickly found that under certain conditions (frying potatoes with salt) the bond between the copper and chrome failed and the chrome flaked off! McCreery's initiative (though an embarrassing failure) was respected - he stayed with Revere for the rest of his life, eventually becoming vice president of manufacturing at Revere's Riverside plant in 1952.
The chrome failure led to new management being sent to the Rome plant with the instruction "Do something useful!". Starting with a clean slate, changes were prioritized that were of real benefit to the user and not just cosmetic. A new cooking surface was needed - one that retained the cooking properties of tinned copper but with increased durability. User comfort (lighter weight and longer, wider handles) and ease of cleaning (seamless construction, rounded corners and rivet-free construction) were important. Finally, the “waterless cooking” trend required steam condensation lids to retain moisture and nutrients.
As research on the new cookware continued, theManufactured Products Departmentcontinued to produce its existing line of cookware at the Rome, NY facility and developed additional expertise in high quality metal forming techniques. During this time, the basic designs for the future coffee pot and tea kettle lines were conceived.
ThatManufactured Products Departmentalso produced a quality line of gift items from 1935 to 1941. Competing with Chase, Manning-Bowman, Kensington, and others, Revere enlisted the services of well-known industrial designers to produce luxury goods with a clean, modern look that emphasized the utility of chrome-plated metalware - which became the core of the "Art Deco" style movement. Unfortunately, this line was shut down in 1941 - due to conversion to wartime production - and was never put into operation again. The designs and tools were soon sold and continued to be produced under other names (including National Silver Co.). Some of the designs (including Fred Farr's Scroll Bookends, Norman Bel Geddes' Five O'clock Trays, and William A. Welden's Teakettle (which became part of the Revere Ware line) are now considered classics Examples of Art Deco design.
Over two years, during which alternatives were evaluated and new production techniques developed, a copper-coated stainless steel cooking surface was created; an easy-to-clean, rivet-free design; close-fitting "Vapor Seal" rims; and comfortable, easy-to-hold bakelite handles - radical changes in the conservative cookware industry. Revere combined them all in 1939 when it was introducedRevere Wareat the Chicago Housewares Fair. One issue remained unresolved - a final decision on the branding design had not yet been made, so the "Riding Revere" brand (later used exclusively by the >Mill Products Division) was applied to the earliest production.
Revere had applied for patent protection for his copper plating process in 1938 (the patent was officially granted in 1942). Revere added the notation "Pat. Pending.” (patent pending) in the mark used on plated products manufactured between 1938 and 1946. (Here is the patent onGoogle-Patentor asPDF file.)
1946, dieRevere WareThe name was trademarked and the familiar circular logo appeared on the product. The "1801" notation on the mark refers to the year Paul Revere made his first sheets of copper at his original facility (not the stainless alloy used (304) or the cookware model number (1400)).
Revere Warewas not without its problems - The Bakelite handles quickly became a weak point - they broke and fell apart from over-bending the metal spine and overly brittle Bakelite castings. Repair was delayed by World War II (preceded by at least one attempt to modify the original design without major changes, a final redesign was in production in 1947, with a heavy, stiff metal stock, thicker sidewall castings and reinforced bolt holes.
In the original 1939 edition, all lidded pans were the same diameter (7.25″) – the contained volume (from 1 to 5 liters) was determined by the height of the sidewall. This reduced the number of production tools needed, kept parts inventories down and reduced customer costs (fewer parts were needed for a set). This simplicity could not last - by the late 1940's the 4 and 5 QT pans were widened to 8.25″ and the 1 and 1.5 QT pans to 5.5″ and 5.75 ″ narrowed. In later years, larger versions of the 1, 1.5, 2, and 3 Qt double boiler pans were added to the line.
Lip frying pans (with pouring spouts) and deep-well cookers (used in special "heating pits" on the stovetop) were common in 1930s kitchens. However, changes in post-war cooking habits, stoves with smaller hobs and sealed ovens rendered them obsolete. Both items were discontinued in the early 1950s.
The original saucepans had simple, flat stainless steel handles, allowing them to be used in both the oven and stovetop. Bakelite (although somewhat heat resistant) was reserved for cookware where temperatures were generally lower. Steel handles persisted for some time (yoke handle kettles retained their steel handle mounted on one side until they were discontinued in 1968).
The changes weren't always definitive: the squat 7.25″ diameter by 2″ high 1QT sauce pan that was dropped in the post-war resizing (see above) was rebranded in the mid-1950s as the “Combination ” pan revived. With the introduction of frozen foods in 6″ x 6″ x 1″ blocks, the combination pans became “freezer pans” as they were the perfect size to thaw a package of frozen foods and then cook them without changing pans. Always a special order item (designated 1Qt), it remained in production into the 1980s.
Revere brought out his firstpressure cookerin 1946. Marketed as a time saver (this was before the days of microwave cooking); It was originally offered with a pressure gauge mounted on the steam valve (operation required the user to monitor the pressure - adjustments were made by changing the heat setting). Problems quickly arose with the rubber-mounted vapor release valve, and it was redesigned in 1948 to be a weight-activated, semi-automatic system with fixed pressure settings - 5, 10, and 15 pounds. This simple and reliable setup was very successful, and "PCs" remained part of the copper-clad 1400 series (with regular updates) well into the 1990s.
Marketing Revere Ware (1953-1965)
Although Revere's patent initially blocked duplication of the coating process, in the 1950s Revere faced numerous challenges from competitors. New technologies brought a variety of new materials (stainless steel, aluminum, copper and carbon steel multi-layer sandwiches) and increased pressure from existing aluminum and stainless steel cookware manufacturers. New sales concepts (marketing and consumer profiling) opened up new markets where Revere introduced new lines of cookware, all offered under the 'Revere Ware' banner.
An aggressive advertising campaign was launched in 1948 to build Revere's brand loyalty, and theRevere WareBrand was an important part of this effort. The special encasing process was advertised on each piece by including the text "made under process patent" in the hallmark. Revere expanded its manufacturing capacity, opening first the Riverside, CA plant in 1949 and then the Clinton, IL plant in 1950. These works identified their production with the hallmark; The Rome, NY plant delayed identification until 1974 - its earlier production was identifiable by thatLackthe city/state name.
The changes in industrial production necessitated by the Korean War diverted the supply of raw materials, particularly copper, and Revere limited his new products to a range of smaller, entirely stainless accessories for his duration, and released various productsWandregale,egg poachersandDouble boiler inserts, andcanister, .
By the end of the Korean WarRevere Warehad become the "gold standard" of American cookware, with 39 items in 12 different utensil types. Sales of copper-clad Revere ware hit an all-time high in 1953, with almost 5.5 million pieces shipped that year.
ThatInstitutional(Line 5000) was introduced in 1954 (although originally designed in 1939). Positioned for use in hospitals, restaurants, schools and military bases, it was copper clad and featured heavy stainless steel construction. Available in a variety of sizes, pan and pot handles were made from long stainless steel tubing with knurled grip areas and hanging holes, while stock pots used simple, oversized, solid stainless steel loops. The lids were flat and recessed to allow for efficient stacking (even when hot), with "wingtip" extensions serving as handles. Institutional cookware was made with thicker bodies than regular Revere ware and did not require rolled rims to stiffen the sidewalls, making them easier to clean. Although this line was well received, sales never took off (only 113,000 units were made) and it was discontinued in 1958 - a set of Handy Pans (refrigerated containers) were retained and added to the 1400 line.
ThatMiniatur-Revere-Ware(Line 500) came out in 1955 and was a direct extension of Revere advertising to encourage brand loyalty. These perfectly scaled-down replicas were marketed in sets to the "little housewife" and corresponded to the large "Kitchen Jewel" sets sold to their mothers. Clad in copper with bakelite handles, they even wore themRevere WareMark. They were very popular, quickly becoming a collector's item and continued in production until 1983 when almost 3,000,000 had been produced by then.
One of the biggest fads of the 1950s was the backyard barbecue, which took center stagePatio-Ware(line 1800) (released 1956). Essentially a spin-off of the Institutional line, Revere simply replaced the Institutional flat lids with polished, domed versions and updated the packaging. Since men were expected to be the primary users of grilling, Revere advertised that the large handles were designed for a man's "bigger hands". The line was only 6 pieces - 4 frying pans and 2 soup pots, no sauce pans were offered). Although seemingly a well-timed and appropriate product, it suffered the same fate as the Institutional line, and production ceased in 1958.
1956 also saw two additions to the base Revere Ware 1400 Series: the 10.5″ and 12.5″ (measured diagonally) Square Skillets and the 12″ Round Griddle. They were special orders, made exclusively at the Rome plant - the square skillets were discontinued in 1962; The griddle was produced until 1968.
In 1957, Revere introduced thisPatriotware(4000 line). This was the first Revere Ware line to existNotcopper-clad, using instead a "heat-coated" laminated steel sandwich of stainless steel around a carbon steel core (this new three-ply material was made by Allegheny Ludium Steel in 1953 under license from Clad Metals, who had perfected the technology). All pieces fromPatriotwarehad "Vapor-Seal" steam holder rims (the health benefits of "anhydrous" cooking was a popular selling point). In 1960 a 'Camper Set' consisting of a 4 liter sauce pot, 1 and 2 liter sauce pans and a 10 inch pan with unique, detachable handles (all four pieces could be compactly 'nested') was offeredLL BeanCatalog. Later the same set was produced forSTAGEwho apparently introduced her to theBoy Scouts of America.Patriotwarewas used for concept testing and was briefly available in the 1960s with a non-stick Teflon®, which was eventually replaced byDreilagige Revere-Ware1967 and production ceased in 1970 having sold over 2,000,000 units.
"Premiums" (cheap versions of existing products that customers could get by buying another product) were popular promotional tools of the 1950s and 1960s. Revere produced theCopper Maiden(100 lines) from 1957 to 1965 (total production was less than 1,000,000 pieces). Sold door-to-door, at home at "parties" and by mail order; It was a lightweight copper-plated stainless steel with vapor-tight rims and a redesigned bakelite handle.
Hosting informal dinners with friends and co-workers was an important part of suburban lifestyle in the 1950s. Accordingly, Revere designed theBuffet ware lineto fit into that niche. It was stylish and inexpensive, "Perfect for baking, ideal for serving, storing and freezing in one dish."BuffetwareIt featured a warming stand (with candles), covered casseroles, and a drinks server.
In the late 1950s, a new shopping trend emerged: the mail-order catalog, dominated by Sears & Roebuck, JC Penney's, and Montgomery Ward. Beginning in 1957, Revere manufactured products for Penney's identical in style to thePatriotwareLine with vapour-tight edges on all parts, copper encased and marked with a unique double hallmark –"Made expressly for Penney's by Revere".
Selling traditional copper cladding in the late 1950sRevere Warebegan to flatten out and a new 'flagship' design was sought that would combine style, innovation, high quality and easy care.group of designers(the 6000 line), introduced in 1959, was a complete redesign of the classicRevere Ware.To restore Revere's leadership position in the household cookware market, it featured a new cooktop consisting of a copper core sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel, and redesigned bodies and lids with a clean, modern appearance, new square-grip phenolic handles -Rings and lid knobs with safety finger guards. The copper core material was manufactured in-house at the Rome plant using a brazing process that created the three-layer sandwich construction using techniques developed by Otherware. Revere revamped the types of cookware included in the new line, dropping overly similar types and introducing a covered brazier, long-handled double boiler, chicken skillet with self-sealing lid, electric coffee maker, and even a teapot with matching sugar bowl and milk jug ! The launch was supported by a huge advertising campaign combined with heavy dealer promotions. Despite the successful early years, the following years saw a rapid decline in sales of non-stick cooktops (launched in 1961). These "easy-care" finishes were quickly adopted by manufacturers of low-cost aluminum cookware, pairing it with bright, multi-colored exterior finishes, which attracted the most interest and consumer attention over the next 10 years. During the same period, Revere failed to maintain its market position. Under increasing financial pressuregroup of designers, arguably the finest line of cookware ever made by Revere and "America's Most Fashionable Cookware", was discontinued in 1973. 2,140,000 units were sold in 14 years.
Designer group(line 6500) - note the change in the position of the apostrophe, was manufactured from 1969 to 1975. This line replaced the copper core of the original with a carbon steel one and used aluminum handles and knobsNeptunewith removed seahorse inserts! The purpose of this failed line is unknown, and barely 71,000 were sold (less than 4% of the original copper-core version).
Nonstick Surfaces (1961-1966)
1961,DuPontintroducedTeflon®, the first of the fluoropolymer non-stick coatings - essential for aluminum cookware applications. The appeal of lightweight, inexpensive, space-age cookware that never needed scrubbing was evident—making a nonstick coating a key feature for many buyers. This put Revere at a competitive disadvantage as there was no method (then) to bond (with acceptable durability) a Teflon® coating to stainless steel.
Revere's answer was to try to improve the non-stick properties of stainless steel itself, rather than applying a Teflon coating. They switched to a harder SS alloy and polished the interior surfaces to a mirror finish. This improved surface was dubbed "Perma-Sheen" and introducedDeluxe Revere-Warein 1962. Advertised as a permanent non-stick stainless steel surface as there was no coating to wear off; It was more adherent and (unlike the low-adhesion hard-anodized finishes of later years) unsuitable for metal utensil use. It was never applied to any other Revere Ware product and was discontinued in 1965.
In 1965, Revere improved the durability of Revere's non-stick surface, particularly when applied to stainless steel. The "Perma-Loc" finish required a two-step process - first a metal/ceramic substrate was applied, followed by the Teflon coating. Various coatings were used (Teflon®, Teflon II®, Ironstone®), but all bore the name "Perma-Loc" (Revere advertised this coating as "Locked-On" or "Two-Coat Teflon®". Perma-Loc was offeredDeluxe Revere-Ware,Neptune,Copper-plated Revere ware, and all aluminum lines.
In 1966, Revere tried a different approach: applying the nonstick coating to the porous inner aluminum surface of their bimetallic stainless steel plated aluminumGalaxy(8700) line, introduced in 1964. Exclusive toGalaxythis combination was discontinued in 1977 after a circulation of only 500,000 pieces.
Revere introduced the Boeclad process (patented by Boeing Corp.) in 1967, which used a spray of molten stainless steel droplets to roughen the stainless steel surface so that all types of non-stick coatings would adhere. This process has been used with notable success in copper platingRevere Ware mit Perma-Loc(Line 3400) but sales were disappointing and it was largely phased out by the late 1970s.
Beginning in 1961, Clad Metals, Inc. developed a range of new aluminum/stainless steel laminate materials. ALCOA, West Bend Co., Regal Ware Inc., and Aluminum Specialty Co. all took these materials and introduced new products with them. By the late 1950's, Revere had committed to sourcing its raw material needs internally through its Ormet subsidiary along with the Scottsboro AL reduction plant. When the Riverside, California plant closed in 1962, Revere moved much of the equipment to its Alussco facility in Oneonta, AL (opened 1963) to use it to manufacture utensils from its newly patented aluminum/stainless steel material, which are manufactured on site B. should be made using a roll-bonding process. When bimetallic product sales were slow, Oneonta installed Teflon equipment and produced aluminum, bimetallic and copper stainless utensils with Teflon, Teflon II, Perma-Loc and Silverstone liners. Four aluminum-based product lines (Revere Teflon (1963), Galaxy (1966), Color Clad (1967), and Daisey (1969) were manufactured in the United States during the Oneonta plant's operational period (1963-1985), although some imported lines were made also sold. It seems they received little promotional support - the only literature I've seen is "in-box" sales flyers. There are also examples showing Revere testing a product virtually identical to wasWear-Evers Inner-Cladboth in design and construction, but no details have been found on the matter. All aluminum cookware lines were manufactured at the Oneonta, AL facility until Revere ceased its aluminum operations in 1985 (Oneonta closed in 1986).
Deluxe Revere-Ware(Series 9000) was released in 1962 using the traditional copper clad SS construction and profiles while adding a sleek new handle design with extendable hanging loops and low swept 'pagoda' style covers with inverted conical knobs. In response to consumer demand for a nonstick cooktop, Deluxe Revere Ware was originally manufactured with a highly polished "Perma-Sheen" interior surface, but Revere subsequently discontinued the use of "Perma-Sheen" and offered the "Perma-Loc" Teflon on ® surface in place.
Worship Teflon(Line 8300), introduced in 1963, was the first line of aluminum cookware to bear the Revere name. Known internally as the 8200 line, it featured sleek aluminum bodies, polished lids, and the original delicate Teflon® liner that necessitated the use of plastic or wooden utensils.
In 1963, Revere began producing electrically heated cookware. Originally limited to coffee makers, frying pans and serving trays; It later expanded to include waffle makers, griddles, slow cookers, microwave ovens, pressure cookers, and even ceiling fans. Parts of this line are still in production (as of 2005).
The most significant design of Revere's aluminum cookware came with the introduction ofGalaxy(Line 8500) in 1964. It used a patented aluminum-lined stainless steel construction that was roll-bonded at Oneonta AL's facility. In 1965 it was offered with Perma-Loc non-stick coating (8700 series) and in 1967 in an "Autumn Leaves" version (7800 series) with multicolored lids. Similar in appearance to the existing ones from WearEverInner-Clad®Line that used stainless steel as the inner surface and offered no non-stick coating.
ThatNeptuneThe line was released in 1967 and continued in production into the early 1970s, carrying the styling of those that have since been discontinuedgroup of designers, and adding "seahorse" graphics (mounted on anodized aluminum inserts glued to the handles and knobs). Both stainless steel andDauerplatznon-stick cookingSurfaces offered – first theDauerplatzhad a blue color (to match the graphic); later replaced by the standard black. Revere also introduced several new cookware pieces, including an asparagus pot, a fondue set (which later joined the Paul Revere Ware line), and a utensil set.
At the same time, Revere introduced himselfStainless Steel Tri-Ply Revere Warethe updatedPatriotwareHold the stainless steel/carbon steel core material and vapor seal lids while using the handlesDeluxe Revere-Ware; The lid knobs were unique but squat and unobtrusive.Dreilagige Revere-Warewas short-lived and was replaced by the 1400 lineStainless Revere goods1974.
Recognizing that there was a high-end consumer market for solid copper cookware commonly used by professional chefs, Revere introduced itPaul RevereWareline in 1967. The copper/stainless steel material used was manufactured only at the Oneonta, AL facility and is manufactured in-house using a high temperature pressure bonding process, not the traditional Revere electroplating process. Designed for both looks and function (or more), the solid brass handles were attached with rivets welded to the bodies (creating a riveted handle with no exposed rivet heads on the cooking surface. The line included numerous specialty pieces: Omelette, crepes suzette, fondue and au gratin pans, casseroles, even a flambe set with alcohol burner andTray. First production carried out "Limited edition collection' stamped on the bottom of the handles, while a stylized Paul Revere 'signature' was later added to the bottom of each piece. This combination was called "Paul Revere signature collection' as the handleprint was removed. A special edition commemorating the US Bicentennial added "1776-1976" to the hallmark. The 'signature' was also used on tea kettles, serving trays and mixing bowls which were later additions to the line (these were simply units made for the 1400 line with the signature added). By 1978 the line had grown to 33 different parts,This makes it the largest line produced by Revere since the Revere Ware 1400 line in the mid-1950s. A design change occurred in 1982 when the grip was widened and an option for polished stainless steel bodies with a copper core was added. Shortly before the line was discontinued in 1986, when the Oneonta plant closed, a heavy commercial version with a copper core and stainless steel handles was added. The line was reintroduced in 2003 with a stainless steel encapsulated copper base and solid stainless steel bodies; This last edition was made in China and was branded 'Paul Revere Shoppe'.
The cast aluminumcolor platedline was launched in 1967, the first Revere product to offer a choice of exterior colors (Bacific Blue, Celery Green, Dancing Flame Red, Coppertone, Desert Sand Brown, Poppy Red, Tudor Orange). It used the same body molds and many of the same parts as the old oneWorship Teflon.but used the black Perma-Loc non-stick inner coating instead of the previous Teflon® coating.
In the late 1960s and 1970s, Revere attempted to reduce production costs - particularly with regard to traditional copper-clad Revere ware. By far the most significant change was to reduce the thickness of the copper plating by reducing the plating cycle time. Finally, the fairing thickness was reduced by almost half. This drastically reduced the cost of the coating and increased production, but also severely compromised the legendary cooking properties.
Changes continued – One-piece grips replaced the two-piece grips in the mid-1960s; Drip coffee makers were phased out in the late 1970s, followed by the 6 Qt Dutch Oven (with its Vapor Seal Rim and High Dome lid) in the mid 1980s, and the Coffee Percolators in 1990. Although customer loyalty continued, the "Grandma's Revere Ware" remained. Quality has never been restored, and copper-clad Revere Ware (renamedCopper Plated Collection1974) was increasingly geared towards the discount market. It survives today as theThe traditionLine that has little in common with the originalRevere Wareexcept for his looks.
The hallmarks used from the late 1960s to the mid 1970s went through their own particular evolution. The factory name (usually Clinton, as Riverside closed in 1962 and Rome was mothballed from 1968 to 1974) previously below the circular logo, was moved above it and the wording "Process Patent" dropped. The traditional round Revere logo has been replaced with the “1801 Profile” trademark and the 1975 paraphernalia size added? In 1979, coding for the month and year of production was added. When the Rome plant resumed copper-plated production in 1974, it used the new license plate and included the manufacturing plant.
ThatContemporary (#7100)line (launched in 1971) combined several styling cues used in previous Revere lines: the laminated stainless steel/carbon steel core (now called the "heat spreader core") and the pan handlesDeluxe Revere-Ware, and the angular, modern profiles first seen ingroup of designersandNeptunelines; all of which matched the stoves and refrigerators of the time. Although this line survived seven years, it was discontinued in 1978, in large part because the covers were extremely difficult to manufacture.
Revere introduced its last domestically manufactured aluminum line in 1969 –Decorated with daisies. It had sliding aluminum bodies with black Teflon II® non-stick interiors. It featured brand new phenolic handles and knobs, and was available in Avocado and Harvest Gold color schemes (to coordinate with the latest equipment colors). It was manufactured in Oneonta AL and included an aluminum teapot manufactured at the Rome, NY facility. It was designated the 8200 line and was kept in production until at least 1971.
Stainless Steel Revere Ware (#7000)(introduced in 1974) was designed identical to the traditional oneCopper-plated Revere ware, it used the stainless steel plated carbon steel core material first used inPatriotwareand later inAt the same timeand finallyTriple-ply Revere Ware lines. This provided satisfactory cooking performance and retained the Revere Ware "look".Stainless Revere goodsbecame Revere's mainline and remained in production into the 1990s. Copper-plated production made at the Clinton plant was moved to the Rome plant, allowing that plant's copper-plated line (mothballed since 1968) to resume.
A specially designed oneOmelettpfannewas addedCopper Plated CollectionLate 1974. Introduced as "America's only stainless steel, copper-bottomed omelette pan," it was designed with flat, evenly rounded sides and was available in two sizes - 8" & 10".
Restaurant style soup potswere introduced in 1985 and replaced the 10, 12, 16 and 20 qt wide gravy pots. Originally these were released in two body types, the first used Stainless Revere Ware's stainless steel/carbon steel core construction and the second was a commercial grade copper plating. An aluminum disc-bottom version was later added, along with a consumer-grade copper-plated version (distinguished from the commercial grade by its recessed bottom). All four versions were all-metal pots with tubular steel handles and metal lids.
Kitchen technology changed in the mid-1980s with the introduction of smooth glass/ceramic cooktop surfaces. These surfaces used embedded thermostats, which required thick-bottomed cast-metal cookware (as opposed to the pressed-steel or galvanized bottoms used by Revere Ware). In March 1986, Revere replied with thatAluminum cookware with disc base, sometimes called the "Tri-Ply" or "Slab Bottom" (referred to internally as the 2000 line). It continued the classicRevere WareStyling from the earlier 1400 and 7000 series but using a stainless steel coated aluminum disc brazed to the underside of each piece allowing use on smooth cooktops (and giving it the heat spreading ability required for use on traditional cooktops Initially the discs were brazed and polished in Korea and the final product assembled at Clinton Later the entire production process was moved to Clinton The line was an instant hit and by 1986 accounted for 20% of Revere's total cookware sales.
ThatMicro-fritterwas introduced in 1987 - designed to allow "combination cooking" - food could be browned on the stovetop and then placed in the microwave oven for full cooking - all in the same pan. The pans were available in 8″ and 10″ sizes, with both copper-lined and aluminum disk bottoms. A tempered glass cover (required instead of metal to prevent arcing) was supplied with each piece. This line was an early result of the merger with Corning, which would come just a year after its launch - it was in direct competition with Corning's existing microwaveable cookware; and domestic politics forced Revere to cancel it in 1989.
ThatONYXLine, also introduced in 1987, was Revere's first line to be manufactured entirely abroad. Originally introduced as an upscale line with a hard-anodized aluminum cooktop, tubular steel handles and solid stainless steel lids, it was withdrawn in 1988 due to a perceived overcrowded market. It was reintroduced in 1994, but dismayed buyers found that clear glass lids and phenolic handles had been replaced and a non-stick surface added - the design had been modified to allow cheaper, off-the-shelf parts to be used.
The End of Revere Ware As We Known It (1988–present)
The enormous financial losses incurred by his aluminum operations eventually forced itRevere Copper and Brass, Inc.Filed for bankruptcy protection in 1982. After renovation in 1985RevereWare Incorporated(the cookware division) was sold toCorning Glass Inc.; whileMill Products Departmentwas bought by the employees (retaining theRevere Copper and Brass Inc.Surname). The remaining aluminum assets were sold and Revere withdrew from primary aluminum production entirely. In 1986 the plant in Rome was closed; and in 1989 the spare parts program was discontinued. Revere turned away from innovation as a source of new products and instead focused on diversity. Prior to the Corning acquisition, Revere produced four lines of cookware, each with unique features aimed at different market segments: Copper-Coated 1400 Series, Aluminum Pans (2000 Series), Hard Anodized Onyx™, and the Micro-Fryer™, each also having some domestic manufacturing capabilities kept. ten years laterWorld Kitchen Inc.took the helm in 1998 with over a dozen lines, many of which differed mainly in the design of the handles, colors or the type of lid. There was no domestic production, all production was outsourced to factories in the Far East. These trends continued under WKI (at least 12 "new" lines were added in the 7 years from 1998 to 2005). The lack of a coherent marketing strategy with poorly differentiated (and frequently changing) product lines only served to confuse and then alienate shoppers.
1989 - The first all-new Revere/Corning product was released -ProLine– Constructed from very thick 18/10 stainless steel with a copper disc base clad in stainless steel to ensure even heating and unusual “wire” handles designed by Richard Gregor of Corning. It was first made at Clinton, but in 1994 production was moved to Thailand. By 1999, Revere moved production to Korea and switched from the original stainless steel/copper disc to hard-anodized aluminum-coated stainless steel, with glass lids replacing the original stainless steel. Arbitrary design changes made to existing lines became typical of Revere's management decisions during the 1990s, significantly affecting customer brand awareness of Revere products.
1989 – DieVistaLine was introduced that took the copper-clad bodies of the 1400 line and (with minor modifications, fitted them with glass covers) from the Corning Ware line. The line was geared towards the Mass distribution channel, where the recombining of existing parts took place. The manufacture of a "new" product line became Revere's primary source of product concepts.
1992 –spectrumintroduced non-stick aluminum bodies that contained two spouts, along with "old-fashioned" Revere Ware stainless steel strainer lids. The enameled exterior was available in maroon, blue, and black; The one-piece handles were riveted to the aluminum bodies. The finished product was imported from Thailand.
1992 - Revere gave the "1892 – 1992 Paul Revere Centenary“Tea kettles, but what they 'remembered' is somewhat puzzling - Revere made cookware before 1892; and the Rome plant that began production in 1892 was Rome Manufacturing, not Revere; and did not become part of Revere Copper & Brass, Inc. until the 1927 merger. There was also irony - Revere had closed the Rome plant (Reveres Teekettle Factory) six years earlier and moved all teakettle production abroad - each teakettle "Paul Revere Centennial ' had to be imported from Korea.
1992-3 - Trademarks on the bottom line of the aluminum disc were moved to a circular indentation on the underside of the utensil. production ofStainless Revere goodswas discontinued, and the Clinton plant workforce suffered further cuts.
1993 –Excel– To emphasize ease of use, stainless steel bodies have been incorporated with dual spouts, non-stick interiors and a specially designed “colander” lid on the sauce pan to allow pasta to drain without using a colander.
1997 –Belt– Sold exclusively through Wal-Mart, it was based on the 1400 series copper clad stainless steel bodies but had redesigned phenolic handles and lid knobs that could be rotated to vary the amount of vapor released. Also available asCentura readywith aluminum disc floor and glass lids.
1998 –independence– Porcelain-enamelled exteriors with non-stick interior, dual spouts, stainless steel mesh covers. This line was essentially Spectrum with new grip styles.
1998 –Revolution– DuPont SilverStone Select® non-stick coating, inside and out, redesigned Revere Grip handle, large loop knobs, dual spout pots and strainer covers.
1998 –RevereWare, Inc.was soldBorden Inc., along with the rest of theCorning Consumer Products Division (Corelle, Corningware, Visions, Pyrex), all of which have been reorganized asWorld Kitchen, Inc.
In 1999, the Clinton, IL plant closed. All domestic manufacture of Revere Ware ended and corporate headquarters for the formerRevereWare Inc.Line were moved to Indonesia. ThatRevere WareThe logo was initially dropped and replaced with the single word "Revere" (it was revived in a later oval logo). New product lines kept coming, many of which were essentially rebrands of older or existing lines. In some cases (the popular ProLine for example ) the name stayed, but the product was changed in both style and construction.
May 2002 –Weltkuchen Inc.filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection but introduced new divisions itself during the 2003 reorganization.
2002 –Preferences of the chef– Non-stick cookware with aluminum body and black enamel exterior. Features saucepans with spouts, stainless steel strainer covers and redesigned versions of the traditional "pistol grip" handles. Sold as an 8 piece set.
2002 –Culinary classic- Extra heavy 18/10 stainless steel bodies with impact resistant copper clad bases, solid stainless steel handles and tempered glass lids - pans had a non-stick inner coating. The line was aimed at the upscale market (sold in 13-piece sets priced at $199.00).
2003 –Request from the chef– Heavy-duty 18/10 stainless steel case with copper bases. Sleek, cast stainless steel handles and stainless steel covers. This line was not available with non-stick cooktops. Manufactured in Indonesia, it was available in 11 piece sets and open stock.
???? –Polished non-stick coating– Aluminum with polished exterior to match Revere lines of stainless steel, non-stick interior.
2004 –Kupfer-Ellipse– Pans feature an attractive 18/10 stainless steel bowl shaped body with copper clad bases, riveted tubular stainless steel handles and solid stainless steel lids. Made in South Korea, only available as a 7 piece set.
2003 –Triple layer stainless steel- A rebranded version of the hugely successfulStainless Revere goodsOriginally introduced in 1974. Classic design of the 1400 line, body material consists of two layers of stainless steel around a core of carbon steel for heat dissipation. Phenolic handles and knobs on stainless covers, virtually unchanged since 1974. Made in Indonesia, available in sets of 10.
2003 –copper plated– The latest version of the copper-clad Revere Ware of Line 1400, which was first introduced in 1939 and was the foundation of the company. The copper plated stainless steel body with phenolic resin handle and knobStylings(my emphasis) have remained virtually unchanged in almost 60 years. Manufactured in Indonesia, it is available in 14-piece sets and individual pieces.
2003 –The tradition– Stainless steel body with non-stick coating, capacity markings on inner surfaces, modern loop handles with hanging holes.
2003 –Convenience– Housing made of stainless steel (18/10) with encapsulated aluminum disc bases, metal resistantDuPont Teflon™Non-stick coating on all interiors, soft-grip handles, vented glass lids with wide stainless steel rims, and no-spill spout. Made in Indonesia, available in 8 piece sets.
2004 –select copper– Essentially a reintroduction of thePaul RevereWareSeries (discontinued 1986) they used the same solid copper and stainless steel lined bodies and handles as the earlier series, but with stainless steel handles replacing the earlier brass handles. It was also available in a stainless steel body version with an SS plated copper disc on the bottom; distributed under the Paul Revere Shoppe label. This SS version should not be confused with the robust, professional version ofPaul RevereWaremanufactured by Revere's Oneonta AL plant in the mid 1980's - this line was all stainless steel with a copper core (bottom and sides).
December 2004 - At least one internet distributor reported that in December 2004, WKI had asked all internet marketers to stop advertising and selling Revere lines. The future of the Revere Ware line seems uncertain.
Summer 2006 - World Kitchen revamped its web site for the Revere Ware line, promoting the Copper Clad, 2000 (Aluminum Disc Bottom), Convenience, and Polished Non-Stick Lines. Spare parts are still not available.
Reader:The company records and historical archives that would normally have been the source for production and design details were moved to the Clinton plant after the Rome plant closed in 1986. By all accounts, in 1999, during the Clinton era, they were either lost, destroyed, or scattered closed and no longer available. The information presented here has been compiled from many anecdotal sources, including advertisements, catalogues, the examination (and sometimes destruction) of more than 500 Revere merchandise, and interviews with retired Revere employees. Due to the lack of company records, there are inconsistencies and uncertainties in the information presented herein. Comments, criticism, corrections or assistance are all welcome! - Periodic updates will follow in the future - check back from time to time.
Special note: Many people have contributed to this project, either with photos, information or encouragement. First among equals are Jay Merrill (who laid the first foundations and whose continued contribution has taken me through many impasses) and Skene Moody (a kindred spirit whose "voice in the dark" helps me stay sane)!